Monday, August 3, 2015

Thing 19

Communicating


My kids use Snapchat, so this was the app I chose to install. Matt, our youngest child at 13 yet the most teenager-y of the three, rolled his eyes in that irritating way when I told him I had installed it. When I looked for other friends, of course, hardly anyone in my contacts (taken from my Gmail account, phone contacts, and Facebook) had Snapchat. One friend did; I sent him an invitation to Snapchat with me, but he hasn't responded two days later, and I'm guessing he signed up just because his kids have it and he never checks it--gotta text him and ask about this.

Hannah, my co-worker, heard me talking and said that she has Snapchat, so she sent me a photo for 10 seconds and I sent her one back. She's young and hip, so it makes sense that she already had it. Fun, I guess! BUT. My usual problem with these apps: to use it for anything fun, you have to turn on data! I found this out by trying to send a video--after maybe 10 minutes of trying, my month's allotment of data was gone. My son Matt was completely out of data and his cash balance for overages within a week of his monthly plan starting, and when I investigated, sure enough, it was all from Snapchat. So that's another app I couldn't delete fast enough. I think the library needs to give me a stipend for trying out these data-required apps!

No comments:

Post a Comment