Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Thing 22

Languages and Translation


This gave me a good reason to try out Pronunciator so I can speak more knowledgeably about it to patrons. I went to the CCPL website (using my new icon on my homescreen!) and found Pronunciator through the 24/7 tab. Signing up was easy--just entered my library card number and email address, then I was ready to go.

I chose French, the "High Beginner Course 1" because I took a couple of years of French in college, so maybe I remember enough to get me started. Started OK with the drills, but the interface is annoying and clunky. I had to tap things really hard to get a response, and it's not always clear exactly what I'm supposed to tap--do I tap the phrases to hear them pronounced? After several tries I realized that wasn't it: I had to tap either "normal" or "slow" at the bottom to hear them. But even then, there's a considerable delay between when I tap and the sound of the voice.

I wanted to take a quiz, but it doesn't matter how often I tap that tab, or how hard--it just won't do anything. Same with the Notes tab. I also can't find the "Postcards (culture note)" you mentioned as part of Activity 2, making me wonder if those are contained in Notes? Is this yet another Android issue? I can't imagine recommending this to patrons until I figure this out.


No comments:

Post a Comment